Information for new Chemical Engineering undergraduate students
Congratulations on securing your place at The University of Manchester! We are very much looking forward to welcoming you to the Department. Here you will find all the information you need to get started at the University, including all of the available events happening over Welcome.
All these sessions are mandatory and will take place online.
Week 1 - week commencing 21 September
Your induction session was on Monday 21 September, but don't worry if you missed it - all sessions are being recorded so you can watch it back at your convenience in your programme's Blackboard area.
The rest of the University sessions this week are available to book on the What's on page.
Week 2 - week commencing 28 September
During this week there will be several events that you will need to attend as a new undergraduate student. All links to these events can be found in your My Manchester timetable. A PDF Timetable will also be uploaded to the ‘Welcome & Induction Information for ALL Years’ folder in the Virtual Common Room in Blackboard.
- Department induction, your opportunity to learn how the University of Manchester and the Department of Chemical Engineering and Analytical Sciemce (CEAS) will be approaching blended learning. How does this work for you as students, and how can you be prepared to make the most of this style of teaching. How to access My Manchester, Blackboard and overview of Academic Advising.
- Health and safety and Blackboard induction, which is an introduction to health& safety and a Blackboard induction for new students in CEAS. You are required to complete your Health and Safety and Academic Malpractice units in Blackboard. These modules are compulsory for all new students. You must complete these before starting any lab based work in the Department.
- Diagnostic exercise will take place on the Blackboard unit MATHS19661.
- Introduction to PASS, our Peer Assisted Study Sessions (PASS) which are for all 1st Year students. This scheme is a great way to get help with your studies from your peers and make some great friends along the way. Our PASS sessions are fun and engaging and this session will let you meet the PASS Leaders and meet students from your programme.
- Overview of Student Support, which will include a guide to some wellbeing support available to you throughout your studies as well as a Q&A with CEAS Student Support Administrator
- Overview of Academic Advisor Role, covering what you can expect from your academic advising sessions. Each student is assigned an academic adviser, a member of academic staff who can help you during your studies.
- Future Climate Change Challenges in Engineering, a Climate Change lecture delivered by Professor Alice Larkin, to discuss the challenges engineers face when it comes to climate change and how we can make a difference.
Personal timetable of events
Once you have activated your account and confirmed your attendance you will be able to gain access to the University Student Portal ‘My Manchester’ where you will be able to access a personal timetable that will include all the events that you will need to attend for your programme during the welcome and induction period. There will also be further information available to you in your Departmental Blackboard Area.
Getting started with your studies
You can also find out more about our Peer Assisted Study Scheme (PASS) below.