Online health and safety course
It is a mandatory requirement of the University that all new postgraduate research (PGR) students receive health and safety induction information during their first year of study.
Your School will enrol you on one or more of the University's online health and safety courses. You can check which courses you have been enrolled on in your ‘My progression’ page in eProg. These courses are delivered through Blackboard, the University's virtual learning environment.
To access Blackboard, log in to My Manchester and click on 'Blackboard'. You will see a screen with a list of courses and communities/organisations to which you have access. To enter the course, click on its title in the course list.
Please note that you will not be contacted if you fail the course, but you will be given feedback immediately on Blackboard after each test is completed including your mark. You can also check your marks in the 'My Grades' page within each unit.
When you have completed the course(s) and achieved the required 70% pass mark, this will be shown in the 'My Training and Development' and 'My progression' page in eProg. Please note that there may be a delay of up to a fortnight before completion of the course registers on eProg.
PGR-IND001 is the mandatory module for all students and is in three parts:
- Part 1: University expectations - A very short introduction to the University, how we aim to provide a healthy and safe working environment and some basic expectations of students.
- Part 2: Your safety - Another short section containing action students can take to keep them and the work environment safe.
- Part 3: Principles of risk assessment - Ensuring the health and safety of people in the university is based on assessing the risk of harm associated with all the activities undertaken and identifying the appropriate action needed to prevent or reduce that harm occurring. This part of the course guides students through the principles so they can be applied to their particular research.
PGR-IND005 is mandatory for all PhD students doing off-campus work (including fieldwork). PGR-IND005 is highly recommended for Professional Doctorates. The other modules are:
- PGR-IND002 - Working in labs and workshops
- PGR-IND003 - Chemical risk assessment
- PGR-IND004 - Biosafety
PGR-IND002 is highly recommended for Physical Geography students.