Welcome activities for Science and Engineering Foundation Studies students
Starting on Monday 21 September, there are two weeks of welcome activities for you to take part in. These events will help you find your way around Foundation Studies and the University. We encourage you to take part in as many as you can as they are a great way to help you settle into university life.
All these sessions are mandatory and will take place online.
Week 1 - week commencing Monday 21 September
Your induction session was on Monday 21 September, but don't worry if you missed it - all sessions are being recorded so you can watch it back at your convenience in your programme's Blaclboard area.
The rest of the University sessions this week are available to book on the What's on page.
Week 2 - week commencing Monday 28 September
This week’s sessions will provide you with essential information about your Foundation Year (and so are compulsory for all students). On the morning of the session you will be given some online resources, including short videos to watch. It’s very important that you study these resources before the live, online session in the afternoon. (Further instructions on how to access the online resources will be emailed to you in the week commencing 21 Sept.) All session take place in British Summer Time.
Monday 28 September
- 2 -3pm: Foundation Year programme overview including the course structure, teaching methods, attendance, engagement, assessment and progression (how to pass and how to fail!). Attend this session on Zoom.
Tuesday 29 September
- 2 -3pm: Accessing your learning, an introduction to Blackboard, the Virtual Common Room, communications, academic support. Attend this session on Zoom.
Wednesday 30 September
- 10 - 10.45am: Mathematics diagnostic exercise, a 40 minute diagnostic exercise, carried out on Blackboard.
Thursday 1 October
- 2 - 3pm: Your student experience, students support and welfare, the mitigating circumstances process, contacts and resources. Attend this session on Zoom.
Friday 2 October
- 2 - 3pm: Course unit overview, an introduction to unit content and academic staff, blended learning and time management, assessment types. Attend this session on Zoom.
We are looking forward to welcoming you to Foundation Studies.