Activate IT account
The very first thing you need to do to become a student is to set up your IT account.
This will give you a username and password so you can:
- login to My Manchester (your student portal);
- start registration;
- access essential University IT services including email.
If you’ve been at the University before either as staff or a student, you'll keep your previous username and University ID, so you can skip this step and recover your account.
What do I need?
- Your activation email from the University
- Your University ID number (this can be found on all communications you've received from us - don’t confuse this with your UCAS number. Your University ID number can also be found on the attachment in your offer letter email)
- Access to a photograph of yourself (saved digitally)
How do I do it?
To activate your IT account, go to iam.manchester.ac.uk select ‘Activate your IT account’.
You'll be asked to enter your surname, date of birth and University ID. This will create your username.
You will also be asked to set a password of your choosing – please make a note of both your username and password as you’ll need it to login to My Manchester.
Please note: for best results, IT sign-up and registration should be completed using a PC or laptop, as errors may occur if using a mobile or tablet. If you encounter errors please try using another browser such as Internet Explorer, Firefox or Chrome.
Once you have your IT account you need to 'confirm your attendance'.
To confirm attendance in My Manchester, go to 'tools' in the top right-hand corner, select 'student system' from the drop-down menu and click on 'student centre'.
Scroll down to the 'admissions' section and click 'confirm attendance/withdraw'. You will then be asked to accept or decline your place at University. Click 'accept' or 'decline'.
In My Manchester, you’ll also be able to upload a photo for your student card. There are some restrictions on the size and style of your photograph. Make sure you check the guidance on the 'my profile' page in My Manchester.