How to register with local healthcare providers

If you're entitled to NHS treatment, you'll be able to use most local and family doctor services free of charge, as well as having access to free emergency and non-emergency treatment in hospitals.

You can register for local medical services as soon as you know your address. You will need some proof of address - if you live in University accommodation, you can use the confirmation of registration letter we sent to your University email address.

Register with a GP (doctor) 

It's really important to register with a GP (this stands for “general practitioner” and is what we call local or family doctors in the UK). You should do this as soon as you know your term-time address. GPs provide a range of non-emergency services by appointment – including examinations, medication prescriptions, vaccinations and referrals to other medical specialists.  

See a map of GPs near campus

Register with a dentist

You can find local dentists on the NHS Find a Dentist website. Be aware that there is a small additional charge for NHS dental services, and not all dental procedures are covered by the NHS.


There is a fee for eye tests and all eye treatment. Optometry students operate a clinic in the Carys Bannister Building during term time, and there are many other opticians located around Manchester.

Occupational Health Service

The University Occupational Health Service also offers advice on issues relating to university life, work and general medical advice.

Disability Advisory and Support Service

DASS is a confidential service available to help all disabled students access the support they need during their studies. DASS supports students with a range of disabilities, including autism, dyslexia, mental health difficulties, medical conditions and mobility/sensory disabilities. You can refer yourself – just register with the service online. If you’d prefer to discuss this with someone first, call us on 0161 275 7512 or email