Register as a student (new and returning)
Follow our guidance below to register as a student at Manchester.
Registering at Manchester is an online process that requires you to confirm your personal details, check course information, and pay – or make arrangements to pay – your tuition fees.
What do I need?
- An email from the University inviting you to register.
- Your IT account username and password (the one you set up when you activated your IT account).
- Personal details and contact details.
- Your term time address. This is the address where you’ll be studying from in the first term – you may need to confirm where you’re living before you complete this. For some of you this address will be your student accommodation address. If you’re studying online then it will be your home address.
- Your course details.
How do I do it?
- Follow this link and login with your new IT account details.
- Go to the ‘Registration’ tab and follow the on-screen instructions.
- If you don't see the 'Registration' tab in My Manchester, go to 'Tools' in the top right-hand corner, select 'Student System' from the drop-down menu, click on 'Student Centre' and then 'Register'.
- You have ten sections to complete. At the end of each step, a green 'completed' tick will appear. To go back to a previous section, simply click on the step you want to return to; do not use the back button on your browser.
You'll need to fill in all ten sections to complete your registration, but don't worry, you can come back to it at any time if you need to.
If you’re unable to register, it may be that your student record is not ready. This is most likely to be because you still need to complete certain processes as an applicant, including:
- Your Right to Study check. All students who are studying on campus at The University of Manchester are required to complete this check to find out whether they need immigration permission to study here. To complete your check, visit the Right to Study form and answer the questions presented to you. The form will also be available via the Right to Study tile on your homepage in Self-Service.
- Where relevant to your programme of study, ATAS Clearance, or Occupational Health check.
After you've completed these steps, you will need to wait 24 hours before attempting to register as a student.
If you are required to complete these processes, you should have received emails detailing instructions on how to do so. Please check your emails and ensure that these have been completed.
If you have completed all processes but are still unable to register, you can contact Student Services on +44 (0)161 275 5000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm).
You’ll be eligible to receive a student card once you’ve completed your registration in full (including the payment of your tuition fees) and arrived in Manchester. You’ll receive an email advising you to collect your student card from your Student Support Hub or Doctoral Academy.
Once you've completed registration you’ll automatically become a member of the Students' Union. We encourage you to get involved fully with the Union's activities.
Under the Education Act 1994, you may choose to opt-out of your membership of the Students' Union during the first ten days following registration. Your decision to opt-out will affect the remainder of that academic year.
Non-members will be able to use the services of the Students' Union, such as the advice service, but you won’t be able to take part in Union affairs, including voting in Union elections, or become a committee member of a society. If you wish to opt-out of membership, you should inform the General Secretary of the Students' Union in writing no later than ten days after you register.
Please note that the Students' Union is an independent body but has strong links to the University. How we are linked is defined in our Code of Practice.
Students who have completed the 10 steps of registration will be eligible to request a Confirmation of Registration letter. This letter can be used for a number of purposes, including supporting an application for council tax exemption and proving to your landlord that you're a student. To request this letter, complete the Student Services Enquiry Form.
EU and international full-time students will be eligible to receive a Bank Letter once they have completed the first nine steps of registration. This letter can be used to support an application to open a UK bank account in advance of completing registration.
To meet UK bank requirements, the letter must include your home country address and your Manchester address in full, including your flat and room number where appropriate, so check that your address details are correct on My Manchester.
To request this letter, complete the Student Services Enquiry Form.
Schengen visa letters
If you require a letter to apply for a Schengen visa, please complete the Student Services Enquiry Form.
Ten steps to registration
Find out what you need to complete your registration.
Your University systems
Get started on your University systems with our guide.