Register as a student (new and returning)
Registering online is a crucial part of becoming a student at Manchester.
Complete your registration
Registering online is a crucial part of becoming a student here at Manchester. It's an online process that requires you to confirm your personal details, check course information, and pay – or make arrangements to pay – your tuition fees.
What do I need?
- An email from the University inviting you to register.
- Your IT account username and password (the one you set up when you activated your IT account).
- Personal details and contact details.
- Your term time address. This is the address where you’ll be studying from in the first term – you may need to confirm where you’re living before you complete this. For some of you this address will be your student accommodation address. If you’re studying online then it will be your home address.
- Your course details.
How do I do it?
- Go to My Manchester CAMPSOL registration and login with your new IT account details.
- Go to the ‘Registration’ tab and follow the on-screen instructions.
- If you don't see the 'Registration' tab in My Manchester, go to 'Tools' in the top right-hand corner, select 'Student System' from the drop-down menu, click on 'Student Centre' and then 'Register'.
- You have ten sections to complete. At the end of each step, a green 'completed' tick will appear. To go back to a previous section, simply click on the step you want to return to; do not use the back button on your browser.
You'll need to fill in all ten sections to complete your registration, but don't worry, you can come back to it at any time if you need to.
Why can't I register?
If you’re unable to register, it may be that your student record is not ready. This is most likely to be because you still need to complete certain processes as an applicant, including:
1. Your Right to Study check;
2. Your Criminal Convictions Declaration;
3. Where relevant to your programme of study, ATAS Clearance or Occupational Health check.
After you've completed these steps you will need to wait 24 hours before attempting to register.
If you are required to complete these processes, you should have received an email detailing instructions on how to do so. If you have completed all processes but are still unable to register, you can contact the registration helpline on +44 (0)161 275 5000 (Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm).
Upload your student photo
You must upload a photograph in My Manchester before you arrive in Manchester so that your student card can be prepared ready for when you get here. There are some restrictions on the size and style of your photograph.
Once you arrive in Manchester you'll be able to collect your student card.
Students’ Union membership
Once you've completed registration you’ll automatically become a member of the Students' Union. We encourage you to get involved fully with the Union's activities.
Under the Education Act 1994, you may choose to opt-out of your membership of the Students' Union during the first ten days following registration. Your decision to opt-out will affect the remainder of that academic year.
Non-members will be able to use the services of the Students' Union, such as the advice service, but you won’t be able to take part in Union affairs, including voting in Union elections, or become a committee member of a society. If you wish to opt-out of membership, you should inform the General Secretary of the Students' Union in writing no later than ten days after you register.
Please note that the Students' Union is an independent body but has strong links to the University. How we are linked is defined in our Code of Practice.
Confirmation of Registration Letters
Students who have completed the 10 steps of registration will automatically receive an email to their University email address with a Confirmation of Registration Letter as an attachment. You should expect to receive the letter within a week of completing registration.
This letter can be used for a number of purposes, including supporting an application for council tax exemption and proving to your landlord that you're a student.
EU and international full-time students will also automatically be sent a Bank Letter to their University email address after they have completed the first nine steps of registration. This letter can be used to support an application to open a UK bank account in advance of completing registration.
To meet UK bank requirements the letter must include your home country address and your Manchester address in full, including your flat and room number where appropriate, so you must check that your address details are correct on My Manchester.
Schengen visa letters
If you require a letter to apply for a Schengen visa, you should email firstname.lastname@example.org from your University email address and tell us the name of the country that you will visit, as this information may be required in your letter.
You must make sure that your home country address and your Manchester address is up to date in My Manchester as both of these addresses will appear in your letter.