How to register with local healthcare providers

If you're entitled to NHS treatment, you'll be able to use most local and family doctor services free of charge, as well as having access to free emergency and non-emergency treatment in hospitals.

You can register for local medical services as soon as you know your address. You will need some proof of address - if you live in University accommodation, you can use the confirmation of registration letter we sent to your University email address.

Register with a GP (doctor) 

It's really important to register with a GP (this stands for general practitioner and is what we call local or family doctors in the UK). You should do this as soon as you know your term-time address. GPs provide a range of non-emergency services by appointment - including examinations, medication prescriptions, vaccinations and referrals to other medical specialists. 

  • The University GP Service is an on-campus medical practice provided by the Robert Darbishire Practice. It is located in Crawford House near south campus (shown on the Campus map here as Building 31), and you can register as a patient using their online portal. Find out more about the University GP Service on the Robert Darbishire Practice website.
  • Alternatively, you can use the NHS Find a GP website to find a list of practices near your address. This will direct you to the GPs' websites to find out how to register as a patient. 

See a map of GPs near campus

Register with a dentist

You can find local dentists on the NHS Find a Dentist website. Be aware that there is a small additional charge for NHS dental services, and not all dental procedures are covered by the NHS.


There is a fee for eye tests and all eye treatment. Optometry students operate a clinic in the Carys Bannister Building during term time, and there are many other opticians located around Manchester.

Occupational Health Service

The University Occupational Health Service also offers advice on issues relating to university life, work and general medical advice.

Disability Advisory and Support Service

The University's Disability Advisory and Support Service (DASS) offers a range of support to students with disabilities, including those with long term mental and physical health conditions. From software to help you study to alternative arrangements in exams, DASS is here to help you access the support you need. If you'd like to receive disability support, you'll need to register with DASS, which means completing a registration form and providing evidence. The service is confidential and DASS won't share your information unless you give your permission.