Healthcare in the UK

We know that your health and wellbeing is an important consideration ahead of starting university, especially in the current circumstances.

You’ll be fully briefed on health and safety as part of your welcome and induction activities. In the meantime familiarise yourself with healthcare services in the UK, how to access local healthcare services when you arrive in Manchester and what vaccinations you should have.

Healthcare in the UK

Emergency treatment is free of charge to everyone in the UK.

Treatment is available for free on the National Health Service (NHS) to all students studying in the UK for longer than six months, as well as students from EU countries and countries with reciprocal health agreements.

EEA and Switzerland (with settled/pre-settled status)

Treatment is available for free on the National Health Service (NHS) to all students from the EU/EEA and Switzerland who are studying in the UK for six months or longer who have successfully applied for settled/pre-settled status.

International students (except EEA with settled/pre-settled status)

If you’re studying on a student visa you’ll be entitled to receive NHS treatment, but you need to pay an immigration health surcharge as part of your visa application. 

Citizens of Australia and New Zealand are exempt from paying the immigration health surcharge.

If you’re not eligible for free NHS treatment, you should take out private medical insurance.

Registering with a GP

While studying with us, if you have an illness or injury that won’t go away then it’s best to make an appointment with your General Practitioner (GP). All students should register with a GP so that if you ever need one, you can access the service.

You should, if you can, register with a GP before you arrive in Manchester.


We strongly recommend you're vaccinated against Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) and Meningitis ACWY before you come to university.

If you’re coming from abroad, it’s important to make sure you get these vaccinations before you leave. If you're unable to do so, you can get them from your GP (local doctor) once you’ve arrived. 

Depending where you're from, you may also need a certificate to prove you are free from infectious tuberculosis (TB) as part of your visa application.

COVID-19 vaccinations

You will also be able to access a range of free COVID-19 vaccinations, whether you've already received one dose, or are yet to receive any.

If you've already received your first dose of a vaccine that is availabe in the UK then you should receive the same one here. If it's not available in the UK then the most similar alternative should be offered. It's important that you contact your GP to make sure you receive the most appropriate second dose.

These vaccinations are free so if you see a request for payment then please report this to us and Action Fraud and don't pay.

You can find out more in the NHS England FAQs