Right to Study

All students who are studying on campus at The University of Manchester are required to complete a Right to Study check.

This is to find out whether they need immigration permission to study here and is completed as part of the admissions process.

How to complete your Right to Study check

To complete your check, visit the Right to Study form and answer the questions presented to you. The form will also be available via the Right to Study tile on your homepage in Self-Service.

If you have not done so already, you will need to activate your University of Manchester IT account in order to carry out this process. You can do this by going to the IT Account Manager page and following the instructions.

You may be prompted to upload a copy of your passport or other documentation as part of the check.

Passport scans must show your:

  • passport number
  • full name
  • date of birth
  • nationality
  • country of birth

Applicants who require a visa

If your Right to Study check shows that you will need a student visa to study, we will prepare a CAS statement based on the information you have provided to us. Once your draft CAS statement has been prepared, we will contact you to check it is correct and advise you of the next steps.

If you require a Confirmation of Acceptance for Study (CAS) for use in a Student Route visa application, a visitor visa, or an extension of a current immigration permission, you’ll need to produce evidence of your immigration permission before you begin your new course to evidence that you have a Right to Study at the University. How you do this will depend on your individual circumstances.