Being a good neighbour

Whether you’re living in private accommodation or University halls, we want you to be a valued member of the local community and feel happy where you live.

The guidance below will help you to keep yourself and your neighbours safe, and contains information on conduct in the community. 

Noise and anti-social behaviour

As a Mancunian, whether adopted or born and bred, you’ll be a member of the community and it’s important to remember that your lifestyle may be different to your neighbours. Don’t forget the people who live near you may be elderly, have children, or health problems. They may also be students themselves with important deadlines to meet.

Parties or rowdy behaviour can be extremely disruptive and damaging to the community and we take complaints about students in the community very seriously. We work closely with partnership agencies, such as Greater Manchester Police and Manchester City Council, to respond to these.

If you or your housemates are being affected by noise, don’t be afraid to report the issue. You have the full support of the student partnership.

Waste and recycling in private accommodation

When you’re living in private accommodation, getting to grips with bins can be confusing, especially as there may be a different system to your previous address.

You can order free recycling bins from Manchester City Council, but if your main black bin goes missing, you’ll be charged for a replacement.

Make sure you play your part and manage your waste and recycling properly.

Housing advice

Manchester Student Homes is a free University-run service that provides housing advice and support to students living off campus in privately rented accommodation.

You can come to them with any housing issues you have, whether it be finding a home or dealing with a problem with your landlord. 

They can provide expert advice on how to resolve the issue or, in more serious cases, act as an advocate or mediator in disputes.

Manchester Student Homes also accredit landlords and private halls to ensure that they meet strict standards in accommodation and management practices. If you have an issue with an accredited landlord or hall, Manchester Student Homes can investigate and make sure that they’re compliant with their Code of Standards.

Find out more about the services Manchester Student Homes offers.

Safety off campus

Manchester Student Homes works closely with Greater Manchester Police and Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue on campaigns to educate students about keeping yourself and your home safe.

Sadly, student areas are often targeted by criminals so it’s vital that you keep yourself safe and your belongings secure. A high percentage of burglaries result from unlocked windows and doors. Take some simple steps to ensure you don’t make life easier for thieves.

Concerns or witnessed incidents should be reported directly to Greater Manchester Police. Residents can contact 999 for an emergency or 101 for non-emergency. You can also do this online

Volunteering in your community

Our students provide lots of support to the Manchester community, either through volunteering or working tirelessly to support our NHS.

There's a wealth of opportunities for you to get involved and feel part of Manchester.