Information for new Mathematics undergraduate students
Congratulations on securing your place at The University of Manchester! We are very much looking forward to welcoming you to the Department. Here you will find all the information you need to get started at the University, including all of the available events happening over Welcome.
All these sessions are mandatory and will take place online.
Week 1 - week commencing 21 September
Your induction session was on Monday 21 September, but don't worry if you missed it - all sessions are being recorded so you can watch it back at your convenience in your programme's Blackboard area.
The rest of the University sessions this week are available to book on the What's on page.
Week 2 - week commencing 28 September
During this week there will be several events that you will need to attend as a new undergraduate student.
- Meet the Department of Mathematics event where you will meet your Year Tutor and other key staff, learn what to do if you need any kind of support during your first year here and hear from other students about the exciting opportunities on offer to enhance your experience of studying Mathematics at The University of Manchester.
- Diagnostic Exercise will take place on the Blackboard unit MATHS1000.
- How to Study Maths at Manchester providing you with essential facts and advice about Blended Learning and studying Maths at The University of Manchester.
- Maths puzzles- meet your course mates a social interactive event where you will meet your PASS leaders for the year and get to know each other whilst solving Maths puzzles together.
- Introductory lectures for Foundations of Pure Mathematics and Calculus and Vectors.
Programme specific sessions
There will be specific sessions for students on joint programmes that will be available for you to attend whereby you will meet with the Programme Director for the programme you are studying.
Personal timetable of events
Once you have activated your account and confirmed your attendance you will be able to gain access to the University Student Portal ‘My Manchester’ where you will be able to access a personal timetable that will include all the events that you will need to attend for your programme during the welcome and induction period. There will also be further information available to you in your Departmental Blackboard Area.
What to expect in your first year
Meet Scarlet and Hana as they share their experience of moving to study Mathematics at Manchester.
Calculus and Vectors: Calculus, Early Transcendentals [International Student Edition]
- Author: James Stewart
- Publisher: Thompson
Foundations of Pure Maths: An Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning: Numbers, Sets and Functions
- Author: P.J. Eccles
- Publisher: Cambridge University Press, 1997
Probability: A First Course in Probability
- Author: S. Ross
- Publisher: Macmillian.