The Student Pastoral Support (SPS) Team will support you with any welfare needs you may have throughout your time on the medical programme.
The Student Pastoral Support Team is available for one-to-one meetings if you would like to discuss matters outside immediate academic concerns.
They can help you with, among other things:
- personal, family, financial or health issues;
- advice regarding mitigating circumstances for assessments and special circumstances for Foundation Training if you cannot find the answers elsewhere;
- applications to the MB ChB Hardship Fund and advice about other potential sources of funding if you are in financial difficulty.
SPS is able to:
- offer a listening ear (which we all need at times);
- make sure you are connected to the right support services (such as the University Counselling Service and the Disability Advice and Support Service);
- talk you through all your options (some of which you may not even have thought about before).
Most students use our service at some point during their time on the programme, so we have a lot of experience of helping you to find a way to manage the challenges you may face.
We are all human and everyone needs a little help from time to time. Seeking help is a sign of strength, not a weakness, so don't be afraid to make contact.
Contact the SPS team
Tel: +44 (0)161 275 1452
The team liaises closely with the Academic Leads for Year 1 and 2, the Year 1 and 2 SPS Tutor and the Year 3, 4 and 5 Clinical Education Campus SPS Teams:
- Associate Programme Director for Student Wellbeing: Dr Gary McCullagh oversees both the Pastoral Support Team and the proactive promotion of student wellbeing in the programme.
- Student Pastoral Support Academic Tutor: Dr Helen Marsden
- Student Pastoral Support Academic Tutor: Professor Doug Corfield
- Student Service, Support and Development Officer - Student support and Wellbeing: Karen Ross
- Student Pastoral Support Administrator: Alison Pearson
- Student Pastoral Support Assistant: Helen Ashworth
- School Disability Coordinator: Karen Ross
Academic and study support can be obtained from Dr Michelle Webb on firstname.lastname@example.org.